Radio NZ News 10 April 2017Family First Comment: Most of the Principals blame poverty, but the Principal of Manurewa East School gets it right….“There’s many factors, from the fact that they’re sometimes on devices all day long, they’re not getting enough sleep, they’ll have parents who abandoned them. There are so many boys who don’t have fathers or they have fathers who are just poor, poor role models. I’m just very sick of it.”Violent behaviour by children is on the rise and teachers are enduring assaults that have included kicks to the groin and a pencil in the eye, primary school principals say.The Principals Federation and the Educational Institute (NZEI) said their members were reporting a growing problem caused by deprivation and family dysfunction.But the Education Ministry said it was not aware of any research or statistics that backed up principals’ claims.Last week, Northland schools threatened to start suspending violent children because of a lack of support. The president of the Principals Federation Whetu Cormick said it was a national problem.“I’m hearing from my colleagues across the country that they’re at breaking point with the number of high behaviour issues that are in their schools,” he said.Mr Cormick said principals from all over the country had told him about assaults on themselves and on their staff.“I’ve heard that principals have been assaulted, punched, kicked, kicked in the private parts, a teacher who was poked in the eye with a pencil who needed medical attention. Furniture being thrown around the room which has contacted professionals who work in the room.”Mr Cormick said for some children violent behaviour was a result of other special education needs.“Young people who have got multiple issues including ADHD for example. We’ve got children who are suffering from various syndromes. We’re also hearing about children who are anxious and some of them who have been diagnosed with depression.”Wellington principal Mark Potter said he had heard similar stories while travelling the country as a member of the NZEI’s executive.“We’ve always had children who’ve been challenging. It’s the number of children that we have that is the big issue right now,” he said.Mr Potter said deprivation appeared to be the cause of the problem.“It seems to be very much related to the growing disparities in our communities and society. So the more families that are under duress or under stress suffering from poverty the more you’ve got children who are actually experiencing those things and presenting at school with behaviours arising from that.”The principal of Manurewa East School, Phil Palfrey, said he had expelled two children already this year because they were too dangerous to have around other children.He said the children did not have disabilities or special needs, they were simply violent.“Sometimes other children have had to pull these kids off other children to stop them from getting worse. And that’s with adults who are near who are paid to look after these children – these children can be so quick and so unpredictable that even a close adult can’t get there quickly.”Mr Palfrey blamed bad parenting. “There’s many factors, from the fact that they’re sometimes on devices all day long, they’re not getting enough sleep, they’ll have parents who abandoned them. There are so many boys who don’t have fathers or they have fathers who are just poor, poor role models. I’m just very sick of it.”Helping children depended on parents who were willing to cooperate and the problem area was those families who refused to do that, he said.READ MORE: http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/328497/primary-schools-at-‘breaking-point’-over-violent-childrenKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox
Tens of thousands of people gathered in downtown Los Angeles for the March for Our Lives march and rally Saturday as part of demonstrations for stricter gun control taking place across the nation and world. According to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, an estimated 55,000 people gathered in downtown Los Angeles to participate in the March for Our Lives Saturday to demonstrate against gun violence. Photo courtesy of Gabi Maya.Demonstrators, including some USC students, marched from Pershing Square to Grand Park at 9 a.m. The nationwide event was organized by student activists who survived the Feb. 14 school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. that resulted in the deaths of 17 people.March for SC, a campaign organized by USC students and co-sponsored by various campus political advocacy groups and Undergraduate Student Government assemblies to protest gun violence, gathered at Tommy Trojan Saturday morning to go to the March for Our Lives together. According to Alec Vandenberg, a March for SC student organizer, an estimated 40 students attended the March with March for SC. It is unknown how many other USC students attended.USC students were able to take advantage of free Lyft rides to transport them to the March. According to Vandenberg, Lyft provided $15 ride credits for those who used the promo code “MFOLLA” to get to locations near Pershing Square.“We really wanted to create a space and a platform for students to come together to not only speak about these issues but act upon them as well,” Vandenberg said. “USC as we all know is not necessarily the most active campus, but that’s definitely something we want to change, and we hope that this movement can start catalyzing other movements and conversations as well.”The Los Angeles March was attended by an estimated 55,000 people, according to Mayor Eric Garcetti, and drew celebrity supporters such as Amy Schumer, Kendall Jenner and Zendaya. According to the Los Angeles Police Department, the downtown L.A. march was peaceful, with no reported arrests.Ellie Schneider, a freshman majoring in journalism, attended the march with other students and her professor, Annenberg Program Administrator Courtney Miller. “For me, as a journalism major, it was exciting to see all of the journalists on the ground, whether as photographers, videographers or reporters documenting this historic moment,” Schneider said. “It was especially exciting to march with my Annenberg classmates and professor.”Lilith Coryell Jenkins, a sophomore majoring in art history, also attended the march.“Sometimes the fight for gun control seems so futile, we’ve been pushing for legislation and change for so long with no change, but today, to see thousands upon thousands of organized people standing up together for something we believe in was so inspiring and I truly believe that this fight is being reinvigorated and that change will happen,” Jenkins said. Vandenberg said that knowing the movement was led by younger generations was inspiring. “It was very empowering,” Vandenberg said. “When I look at the demographics of the crowd, I didn’t necessarily see a huge young group, [but] I know that generally this is a national movement led by predominantly younger people, so that was definitely inspiring and hopefully other students at USC or beyond can get more involved in the movement because that’s so pertinent to us, because our lives are quite literally at risk sometimes.” At the same time, Vandenberg noted that activism must continue if students want to see change. “This is only the beginning,” Vandenberg said. “When we march, that’s not the end. This is the start of the conversation, the start of how we engage with these issues and the start of greater activism.”Editor’s Note: Alec Vandenberg is a Daily Trojan columnist.
“I personally want to be in Toronto,” Lowry said, per The Athletic. “I’ve never asked for a trade. My goal is to try to win a championship here, and that’s what I want to do. I’ve heard all the rumors just like that.”I’m sure if anything were to happen, management would call me and talk to me and make me aware of anything that was going down. That’s one of the things where I’m sure we have a good enough relationship to know what is going on.” Related News Lowry explained he isn’t concerned because trades are just the nature of the business, and the Raptors will make a decision based on what’s best for the franchise. “I think they will make decisions for themselves, and they’ll do what’s best for them. I don’t think there’s one thing I can say or do [to change that], you know what I mean? I think that’s just how they work, and they operate,” Lowry told ESPN. “They make moves, and they make moves for the best of the organization. If they do something that will be their feeling to whatever the organization thinks is best for them.” NBA trade rumors: Raptors offered Kyle Lowry, Jonas Valanciunas to Grizzlies for Mike Conley, Marc Gasol Sports Illustrated reported earlier this week that Toronto offered guard Kyle Lowry and center Jonas Valanciunas to Memphis in exchange for Mike Conley and Marc Gasol. Lowry, however, said he hasn’t yet heard anything from the team about a potential trade. “No, I haven’t heard anything,” he noted. “Reassurance would be great, but at the end of the day, they don’t have to call me. My job is, as a player, to go out here and do my job. If they want to call me, that’d be great. I would appreciate it. But if they don’t, I understand.”Lowry is averaging a career-high 9.2 assists with 14.2 points and 4.4 rebounds while shooting 41 percent from the field. Kyle Lowry is fully aware of the speculation and uncertainty surrounding his future with the Raptors. The 32-year-old guard addressed some of the recent rumors ahead of Thursday’s trade deadline, revealing he didn’t ask to be dealt to a new team.