Topics : “A violent face-off took place yesterday [Monday] night with casualties on both sides. The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer and two soldiers,” an Indian army spokesman said in a statement.”Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation.”An Indian army officer based in the region told AFP that there had been no shooting, and that the officer killed had been a colonel.”There was no firing. No firearms were used. It was violent hand-to-hand scuffles,” the officer said on condition of anonymity. Three Indian soldiers have been killed in a “violent face-off” on the Chinese border, the Indian army said Tuesday following weeks of rising tensions and the deployment of thousands of extra troops from both sides.Brawls and face-offs flare on a fairly regular basis between the two nuclear-armed giants over their 3,500-kilometer frontier, which has never been properly demarcated, but no one has been killed in decades.The Indian army said that there were “casualties on both sides”, but Beijing made no mention of any deaths or injuries as it swiftly laid the blame squarely on India for the incident. Beijing on Tuesday confirmed the incident and accused India of crossing the border and “attacking Chinese personnel”.Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said Indian troops “crossed the border line twice… provoking and attacking Chinese personnel, resulting in serious physical confrontation between border forces on the two sides.”The Indian army said the incident took place in the Galwan Valley in the high-altitude Ladakh region — which is just opposite Tibet.Thousands of troops from the two nuclear-armed neighbors have been involved in the latest face-off since May.On May 9, several Indian and Chinese soldiers were injured in a clash involving fists and stone-throwing.The Chinese foreign ministry said only last week that a “positive consensus” on resolving the latest border issue was achieved following “effective communication” through diplomatic and military channels.In a later statement, India’s foreign ministry had said the two sides would “continue the military and diplomatic engagements to resolve the situation and to ensure peace and tranquility in the border areas.”But sources and Indian news reports suggested that India appeared to have effectively ceded to China areas that the People’s Liberation Army occupied in recent weeks, notably parts of the northern side of the Pangong Tso lake and some of the strategically important Galwan river valley.India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese leader Xi Jinping have sought to ease tensions at summits over the past two years when they agreed to boost border communications between their militaries.
Two Aurora men are in jail after a domestic altercation led to a shooting.Authorities responded to a residence on Hanover Avenue in Aurora after receiving a report of a domestic fight with a firearm on Friday.Zachary Murray, 24, told an Aurora Police Officer that he had retrieved a handgun and rifle in response to a disagreement and fight earlier in the evening, police said.“Zachary Murray and his half-brother Joshua Sigmon, struggled over the rifle,” Aurora Acting Chief Joshua Daugherty said in a release. “During the struggle, Zachary suffered a gunshot would to his right thigh.”Murray was treated and released from Dearborn County Hospital and later booked into the Dearborn County Law Enforcement Center. He is facing three felony charges including Intimidation with a Deadly Weapon, Criminal Recklessness with a Deadly Weapon and Pointing a Firearm.“Search Warrants were obtained and numerous items of evidence were recovered from inside the residence,” Daugherty indicated.Police later apprehended Patrick Murray, the owner of the residence. He was arrested and charged with Possession of Marijuana and Possession of Paraphernalia, both Class A Misdemeanors and Maintaining a Common Nuisance, Class D Felony.
Published on February 21, 2015 at 4:41 pm Contact Phil: [email protected] | @PhilDAbb Eighteen days after making a promise not to shoot 3s, Ron Patterson broke it.He strayed from his vow last week too, but this one was late in the shot clock so he was spared from the wrath of Jim Boeheim.The only reaction Boeheim gave was a raising of his eyebrows when the shot went in.“I thought both Ronnie and B.J. (Johnson) finally made some shots, which is why we were in the game,” Syracuse head coach Boeheim said. “They haven’t been doing that and that was big for those guys to make those shots.”Often a liability, the Orange’s bench was instead a sparkplug Saturday afternoon. Patterson and Johnson combined for 20 points, SU’s largest bench contribution since Dec. 22, on a combined 7-of-10 shooting.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textTheir efforts ultimately weren’t enough to push Syracuse (17-10, 8-6 Atlantic Coast) past Pittsburgh (18-10, 7-7) in its 65-61 loss in the Carrier Dome, but managed to help keep the Orange afloat on a day when the starters — particularly guards Trevor Cooney and Kaleb Joseph — underperformed.“They were able to come in and pick up on the scoring for them,” forward Tyler Roberson said. “You need that when guys aren’t playing well.”An ineffective Joseph, also 0-for-5 from the field, played just 16 minutes. Cooney, who shot 0-for-5 for the game, left the floor briefly due to his strained back. Roberson also left the floor due to injury, having a laceration above his eye treated.The blend of those circumstances opened the door for Patterson and Johnson to get more run than usual, and they made the most of it.Johnson drove along the baseline and found Patterson for a layup to knot the score at 17, and a minute and a half after that Michael Gbinije hit Patterson for a reverse layup. The guard connected on his 3 — which bumped his 3-point shooting percentage up to a measly 18 percent on the year — to bring SU within five points at the 13:31 point of the second half, and added a baseline jumper off the dribble for his fourth field goal.Johnson hit a 3 to cut Pittsburgh’s lead to 53-45 with 7:44 left, then connected on one the next trip down to make it a five-point game.“They overcommitted to Rak, so it was a great kickout and a pretty wide-open shot,” Johnson said. “Anytime you come off the bench and provide any kind of spark, whether it’s a blocked shot or steal or making shots, it’s always good for us.“I thought I needed to step up and I did a pretty decent job of that.”He did just that when, with a minute left and the Panthers leading 61-57, Johnson drilled a 3 from the corner right in front of the SU bench — where Cooney and Joseph were located, and Patterson and Johnson weren’t.Syracuse wouldn’t draw any closer than that one point the rest of the way, but wouldn’t have been that close without its reserves.“I’m happy that they stepped up,” Gbinije said. “We’re a better team that way. We needed a little bit more, but maybe that could carry over to our next game.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
He’s a good guy. He deserves to be rewarded with the Ballon d’Or: he’s had his best-ever season and won the lot with Bayern Munich. Football is a team game, but you have to admit that he’s played a decisive role in every match.” German tennis legend Boris Becker champions Franck Ribery’s claim“All things being equal, the trophy should definitely go to Franck Ribery. In my opinion, he’s the clear winner. […] For me, the winner should be first and foremost the player who does the most to help his team to win. It’s the same in the NBA: the best player of the season should be part of the best team and in 2013, the most dominant team in Europe was Bayern Munich.”French NBA star Nicolas Batum, of the Portland Trail Blazers“If I had to vote, I’d give it to Cristiano Ronaldo. He’s a player who always gives his all.”The Spanish Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy“Messi has had a lot of injuries over the past year, which is why I think Cristiano should win the Ballon d’Or.”Argentina legend Diego Armando Maradona”They are all great players, huge names and top athletes. I’d find it a tall order to choose just one of them because they’re all fantastic players.” Greece and Olympiacos forward Kostas Mitroglou”Franck Ribery is my favourite. If he doesn’t win it this time around, he never will. He’s won practically everything there is to win with his club. He recently picked up the UEFA Best Player in Europe Award and he’s still in great form. In my opinion it should definitely go to Ribery.”Monaco midfielder Jeremy Toulalan “Cristiano and Messi are very good players, while Ribery has won the lot. They are three great players and this is the toughest Ballon d’Or to call in the history of the trophy.”UEFA President and former France player Michel Platini“You can never rule out Lionel [Messi]. A lot of people vote for the prize; he’s won it four times and is hugely popular all around the world. I’d laugh a lot if he won it.” Barcelona and Spain defender Gerard Pique“If the Ballon d’Or comes, I have room for it.” Cristiano Ronaldo during the official opening of his museum in his native Madeira”I voted for the Spanish players because they haven’t had as much recognition as they’ve deserved over the last few years and I didn’t want to get involved in a Real Madrid-Barcelona war – it’s as simple as that.”Spain coach Vicente del Bosque lifts the lid on his 2013 Ballon d’Or picks”My wife has already prepared a place for it above the fireplace in the living room. I try not to think about it too much, but she really believes [it’s my year].”2013 Ballon d’Or finalist Franck Ribery talks to L’Equipe about his chances of scooping the award