White House: We Don’t Need No New AUMF to Fight ISIS

first_imgView image | gettyimages.com “The proposed AUMF wisely does not include any geographical restriction because ISIL already shows signs of metastasizing outside of Syria and Iraq,” Carter told committee members.Kerry, for his part, acknowledged that the AUMF sets no geographic limitations but said the administration does not “anticipate conducting operations against targets in countries other than Iraq and Syria at this time.”The administration may have a difficult time persuading Congress to pass a new AUMF, despite Obama’s calls for American unity and, as Kerry put it, to speak with a “singular voice.”Some Congressional Democrats have expressed concerns about the lack of limitations—both geographically and with respect to the future use of ground troops—while several Republicans on Capitol Hill believe the AUMF may handcuff the military.Considering that both Kerry and Carter have admitted that the administration already believes it has the authority to fight ISIS, Congress may not feel the urgency to give Obama the authorization he’s requesting.Time will tell if Congress eventually passes a new AUMF. But in the meantime, the war will go on—with or without Congressional authorization—continuing the “War On Terror,” the longest conflict in U.S. military history, and the costliest. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Between presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s private email hullabaloo and outrage over 47 Republicans sending Iran a politically-charged letter to undermine its nuclear negotiations with Secretary of State John Kerry, it’d hardly be a surprise if a large chunk of the American public had no idea Congress last week debated President Barack Obama’s authorization for a war he’s already fighting.The idea that the administration is seeking a new authorization to use military force for its war against the so-called Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL—a conflict that the US has been involved in for more than seven months—may be confusing to some folks. Although the Obama administration whole-heartedly believes it has the necessary authorization to battle the militant group because of previous versions of the AUMF, passed in 2001 and 2002, it still wants Congress to codify a version related to ISIS, so as to ostensibly show the world that the American people—and its policymakers—are united in this effort to “degrade and destroy” ISIS.Secretary of State John Kerry didn’t even try to conceal the administration’s motives when he testified in front of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last week. View image | gettyimages.com “The President already has statuary authority to act against ISIL, but a clear and formal expression of your backing would dispel any doubt anywhere that Americans are united in this effort,” Kerry told the Senate committee on March 11.Obama’s proposed ISIS AUMF, which would remain in effect for three years, is very much a symbolic move. If Congress never passes a new AUMF, the Obama administration would still continue to bomb Iraq and Syria, and support local forces on the battlefield, the Iraqi military and its allied militias.The administration has repeatedly invoked the 2001 AUMF, passed three days after the Sept. 11 attacks, which allowed the US to fight those who orchestrated the attacks—meaning al Qaeda—to justify the war on ISIS. It’s also relying on the 2002 AUMF, which opened the door for President George W. Bush to “defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq.”The 2001 AUMF, in particular, has been criticized as too broad. Originally, it was intended to justify war with al Qaeda, which ISIS was born out of but is no longer associated with. A new AUMF would sunset the 2002 version while the authorization passed shortly after 9/11 would remain on the books.After months of publicly calling on Congress to act, Obama finally moved ahead in February and sent a draft letter to Congress outlining the ISIS AUMF. This version would allow the US to fight ISIS and any “associated forces” partnering with the group or any “closely-related successor entity.” It does not establish any geographical boundaries, nor does it fully prevent the use of ground troops, such as Special Forces.In his testimony last week, Kerry didn’t necessarily rule out sending American ground troops. He said the “administration sees no need for U.S. forces to engage in enduring offensive ground combat operations against ISIL,” adding that the responsibility for such fighting fell on “local partners.” At the committee hearing, neither he nor Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter eliminated the possibility of expanding the current operation outside of Iraq and what’s left of Syria. ISIS, which has brutally slaughtered innocents, including American journalists, and claimed large swaths of the region rather quickly as it strives to create its so-called new caliphate, is now known to be fighting in Libya, which has struggled to find stability after Colonel Muammar Gaddafi fell from power in 2011.last_img read more

India’s citizenship law sparks protests

first_imgPrime Minister Narendra Modi’s Hindunationalist government said the so-called Citizenship Amendment Bill was meantto protect “besieged” minorities. Police chase away demonstrators during a protest in Guwahati, India on Dec. 11. REUTERS/ANUWAR HAZARIKA GUWAHATI – India moved thousands oftroops into the northeastern state of Assam on Thursday as violent protestserupted against a new law that would make it easier for non-Muslim minoritiesfrom neighboring countries Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan to seek Indiancitizenship.  As India’s upper house of parliamentpassed the bill in the early hours of Thursday, protests took place acrossIndia’s northeast.(Reuters) Critics said it undermines thecountry’s secular constitution by not offering protection to Muslims whileothers argue it will open India’s northern states to a flood of foreigners.last_img read more

Manager Dave Roberts gives Yasiel Puig the night off ‘to clear his mind’

first_imgYasiel Puig started the season on a tear, batting .405 over the Dodgers’ first 10 games.It didn’t last. Since then, he has hit .137, with only one hit coming in his past 18 at-bats. His average has sunk to .250.Dodgers manager Dave Roberts opted to give the slumping Puig the day off on Saturday night for the second game of their three-game weekend series against the San Diego Padres.Roberts said he hoped that it might allow Puig “to clear his mind.” The manager texted him the previous night to tip him off. In Puig’s place, Kiké Hernandez was in the lineup in right field. Roberts felt a mental break could help Kendrick, as well.“There’s a fine line, because you want to give guys at-bats to play, but also sometimes to kind of take a step back from performing night-in-and-night-out can be beneficial,” Roberts said.Recovery continuesPitchers Brandon McCarthy and Hyun-Jin Ryu threw bullpen sessions Saturday, the latest steps in their respective recoveries.Roberts said he saw “good stuff” from both. They each mixed pitches.McCarthy, who threw 50-60 pitches, is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. Ryu, who had approximately 45, is coming off shoulder surgeries that shelved him for all of last season.“When you start talking about them facing hitters, it does make it more tangible and exciting,” Roberts said. “You try not to get too far ahead of yourself, but to see these guys on mounds, talking to hitters, things like that, it’s something to look forward to.”Ryu will throw another bullpen before facing live hitters. The left-hander has been targeting a return in June.McCarthy’s target date is by the All-Star break.AlsoThe Dodgers will shuffle the order of their starting rotation during their five-game trip this week. Rather than starting Wednesday against the Tampa Bay Rays, Kenta Maeda will take the mound Friday, with Alex Wood to take Maeda’s place. “This is more specific to matchups,” Roberts said, pointing to using Maeda, a right-hander, against the Toronto Blue Jays, who feature several right-handed batters in the heart of their order. The club was given flexibility with a travel day on Monday. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img Asked about Puig’s slump, Roberts ruled out fatigue as a factor, pointing out that Puig already had two days off earlier this month, on April 16 against San Francisco and April 21 at Atlanta. Trayce Thompson replaced him in those games.“I think he’s just trying to do a little bit too much,” Roberts said. “Sometimes, if you can kind of get a day off, the pressure or whatever it is to perform for that night, get away from that for a day, sometimes it helps.”As Puig has faced trouble at the plate, he has often struggled to make contact. In his past 13 games, he struck out 15 times, a rate of 29 percent. In the first 10 games, he struck out six times, or 16 percent of his at-bats.Earlier this week, Roberts said Puig was swinging at too many pitches outside the zone, especially at breaking balls that were falling toward the dirt.Second baseman Howie Kendrick, riding an 0-for-13 slump, saw his second consecutive day off. Kendrick, who was slowed in spring training because of a groin injury, is hitting .151 this season.last_img read more

Johnny Manziel leaves AAF game with head injury after tackle attempt

first_imgJohnny Manziel gets hit in the head.He stayed down on the field and appeared to be wobbly while exiting. He’s likely done for the day. #ORLvsMEM pic.twitter.com/nZ4zFJevQH— AAF Reddit (@AAF_Reddit) March 30, 2019Before leaving the game, Manziel completed 2 of 3 passes for 13 yards and rushed for 18 yards on three carries. Manziel, 26, previously played in the CFL but was released by the Montreal Alouettes in February and barred from signing with any other teams in the league after violating an agreement with the CFL. Related News AAF might not survive past this weekend, report says Former Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel threw his first touchdown pass as part of the American Alliance Football league, but he also suffered his first injury since joining the Memphis Express earlier this month.center_img The injury happened after Manziel threw an interception that was returned by Orlando Apollos defensive back Will Hill III. Manziel attempted to tackle Hill and then fell to the ground before he was helped off by the team’s staff. Manziel was ruled out for the rest of the game and was replaced by Brandon Silvers.last_img read more