Employee tests positive for coronavirus

first_imgThe Starbucks undergoes a daily cleaning regimen, which includes sanitizing surfaces about every 30 minutes, according to the email. The location will receive an “enhanced cleaning” Tuesday.  A Trojan Grounds Starbucks employee has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to a communitywide email sent by the Department of Public Safety Tuesday. The individual last worked Thursday, and employees who were potentially exposed are advised to self-monitor for symptoms. In the email, DPS reiterated that students, staff and faculty should limit community transmission of the coronavirus by continuing to follow public health guidelines, including wearing a face covering in public, practicing social distancing and washing hands regularly. Students and employees who develop symptoms of coronavirus infection should self-isolate, report their illness to Student Health, submit to testing and stay at home. The email was sent in compliance with the Clery Act, which mandates that universities disclose campus-related statistics and criminal incidents. The email also included an attached memo in Spanish. The University did not comment on the incident in time for publication.last_img read more

Long to remain a Saint

first_imgThe forward attracted interest following Ireland’s run in the European football championships with Everton, Spurs and Liverpool among those reportedly keen to poach him.But Long has now ended that speculation by agreeing to a new deal that will keep him with the Saints until 2020. The 29-year-old Gortnahoe native was a first choice striker for the club last year, but he knows that maintaining his place will be hard work.last_img

Somali Olympic runner ‘drowned’

first_imgA Somali Olympic athlete has reportedly drowned while attempting to reach Europe on a migrant boat.Runner Samia Yusuf Omar was trying to cross from Libya to Italy in April when the boat she was travelling in sank, according to Italian media.The head of Somalia’s National Olympic Committee confirmed to the BBC that she had died but did not say how.Samia competed in the 200m event at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 despite having almost no formal training.Although she came in last place, several seconds behind the other competitors, the BBC’s Alan Johnston in Rome says it is extraordinary that she was able to take part at all.She had grown up and trained in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, facing war, poverty, a complete lack of athletics facilities and prejudice from some quarters against women participating in sports. According to a profile of Samia on al-Jazeera, she faced death threats and intimidation when she returned to Somalia after the 2008 Olympics, with the Islamist militia al-Shabab controlling parts of the capital.‘We will not forget’In October 2010, the runner is reported to have moved to Ethiopia in search of a coach to help her train for the London 2012 Olympics.What happened between then and her apparent death in the Mediterranean Sea is unclear.According to al-Jazeera, there were no guarantees that she would be accepted to train at the stadium in Addis Ababa – it was dependent on her running times and permission from the Ethiopian Athletics Federation. Reports in Italian media suggest she may have been hoping to find a coach in Europe who could help her reach the London Olympics.Italian newspaper Corriere Della Sera says Samia’s fate only came to light when former Somali Olympic athlete Abdi Bile brought it up at a talk.He mentioned Mo Farah, the Somali runner who moved to the United Kingdom aged 12 and triumphed in this year’s Olympics.“We are happy for Mo – he is our pride,” he said. “But we will not forget Samia.”last_img read more