Herrera adds to United injury woes

first_img The club say his progress will be monitored over the next few weeks but it is not known exactly how long the injury will keep him out for in total. The news comes as another blow to Van Gaal, who also has captain Wayne Rooney suspended for all United’s matches in October after his sending off against West Ham for kicking out at Stewart Downing. Nine other players were missing from Saturday’s match due to injury United’s next game is at home to Everton on Sunday, but Van Gaal will at least have defender Tyler Blackett back from suspension. Herrera has scored two goals in his four matches at United, whose official website stated: “Ander Herrera sustained a fractured rib during the match against West Ham United on Saturday. The club will continue to monitor his progress over the next few weeks. Herrera had hoped the injury would not prove to be serious but said he was not feeling sorry for himself. The midfielder said on Twitter: “A real shame this injury, but now’s not the time to feel sorry for myself. I’m already working to be back as soon as possible!” The 25-year-old Spaniard, a £28.8million signing in the summer from Athletic Bilbao, has been an important member of Van Gaal’s side and becomes the 10th player in the United squad to be injured. Herrera, who is facing several weeks on the sidelines, was substituted in the 74th minute of the 2-1 win against the Hammers after suffering the injury. Press Associationcenter_img Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has been dealt another injury blow after a scan revealed midfielder Ander Herrera sustained a fractured rib against West Ham at the weekend. last_img read more

Warnock feared Swansea rout

first_imgCrystal Palace manager Neil Warnock feared his side would suffer a double-figure beating after the first 15 minutes at Swansea. “After the Liverpool game nobody talks about us at all, it’s all about Liverpool, but I thought we were fantastic.” Swansea manager Garry Monk felt his side had been in control apart from a difficult period immediately after Jedinak’s equaliser. “We started the game very well on the front foot and were in the ascendancy,” Monk said. “I was disappointed with their goal because we gave the ball away, they countered and got the penalty from there. “For four or five minutes after that we were unsettled because of the dominance we had, but we were the ones pushing for the second goal and the performance was very good. “But Palace defended well, they put people on the 18-yard line and it was difficult for us to get the second goal.” Swansea have now lost 13 points from winning positions this season but Monk insisted he was not focusing on that damaging statistic. “I look at 19 points. We’ve got a great total, we’re still seventh and we’re still improving and progressing as team,” Monk said. “Yes, we’ve made little mistakes but I look at the positives. “The performance level I can’t argue with, we’re having a good season and we’re trying to find our way to push on.” “The first 20 minutes is as bad as I’ve seen us play since I’ve been at the club. “We just couldn’t put two passes together, we couldn’t pass water. It was really poor. “But after that we regrouped and I thought our lads responded.” Warnock felt Palace were aided by an injury to striker Dwight Gayle which allowed James McArthur to bolster the midfield and Marouane Chamakh fill the main striker’s role. And it was Chamakh who won the penalty when Jonjo Shelvey’s clumsy challenge saw the Moroccan fall to the floor in a crowded penalty area. “McArthur coming on and Chamakh going up front helped us, it made us more solid and more of a threat,” Warnock said after Palace had built on their 3-1 home victory over Liverpool. “Swansea always control the game, that’s how they are. But you have to give us credit as a lot of teams could have laid down, but we played controlled football after the break. “We might be limited in certain areas but we are a good honest bunch. Press Association Wilfried Bony scored his sixth goal in seven Barclays Premier League games on the quarter-hour mark to reward Swansea’s complete domination, but Palace levelled through Mile Jedinak’s 25th minute penalty and ending up taking a 1-1 draw home from the Liberty Stadium. “I was wondering if it would be double figures after 15 minutes because it couldn’t have got any worse,” Warnock said. last_img read more