‘Sadio is fine!’ – Henderson plays down Mane/Salah row

first_imgJordan Henderson insisted there was no issue between Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah after Liverpool’s victory at Burnley.The Reds returned to the top of the Premier League with a convincing 3-0 win at Turf Moor on Saturday, recording a club-record 13th straight league success in the process.All looks rosy at Anfield, though it was surprising to see an angry reaction from Mane when he was substituted for Divock Origi late in the game. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? The Senegal star had been incensed by Salah’s refusal to pass the ball to him moments earlier, with the Egyptian instead looking to get on the scoresheet himself. Mane berated first-team fitness coach Andreas Kornmayer after being withdrawn, and was seen in heated conversation with his team-mates, including Henderson and vice-captain James Milner.Klopp played down the row in his post-match press conference, saying the situation was “completely fine.”Mane himself opted not to speak to the waiting media, emerging from the Turf Moor dressing room with headphones in. But later Henderson, his club captain, sought to draw a line under the affair.“Sadio is fine, he’s a great lad,” Henderson told reporters. “That’s just us pushing each other all the time. I think that’s important. “We all want to do better, we all want to improve, but we’re really close and I think we can deal with that.“I’m not sure [what caused it] to be honest. I couldn’t really understand at first, but then when he came in, he was laughing and joking.”Jordan Henderson on Sadio Mane 2019Asked if there had been any further issue in the dressing room, Henderson said: “Nah, the most important thing was we got the result, Sadio knows that. “He performed really well again. Him and Bobby were really big [at winning] second balls. He had a fantastic game. Like I said, we want to push each other. “We want to improve all the time, I quite like that now and again. I think we need it.”Reflecting on yet another victory, and a performance of some authority at a tough away ground, Henderson was upbeat as expected.He did, though, sound a note of caution when it was suggested his team were “setting the standards” for the rest of the Premier League.“We’re not setting them for anyone else, we’re setting them for ourselves,” he said. “That’s what we want to do. We want to win every week, we want to perform every week and that’s difficult because there are so many good sides in the Premier League and in Europe. It’s really hard.“For us, it’s game by game. We come up against different tests each week and it’s about giving everything every time we go onto the football pitch and we’ll see where we are at the end of the season.“For me it’s just about concentrating on what we need to do. We have been very mature in our performances, especially away from home. We want to continue that form, keep doing the right things, keep working hard as a team. If we do that, we can put on performances like that.”Roberto Firmino Mohamed Salah Liverpool 2019-20Of the Burnley performance, he added: “I thought we did the dirty bits really well. We worked extremely hard defensively to win second balls, which is important against Burnley.“The two strikers are really physical, but I thought we coped with them really well. Going forward we looked good at times and scored some brilliant goals. It was a really good performance.”Henderson also paid tribute to striker Roberto Firmino, whose goal at Turf Moor saw him become the first Brazilian to reach 50 in the Premier League.“He’s a massive player for us,” he said. “It’s extraordinary what he does for the team, defensively, goals, assists, everything, his link-up play. What a player he is. He’s on fire at the minute, so hopefully he can keep going.“He’s the first Brazilian to 50 and hopefully there are many more to come from him.” Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the weblast_img read more

Jason Roy rewarded for World Cup heroics with maiden call up in England Test squad

first_imgJason Roy rewarded for World Cup heroics with maiden call up in England Test squadJason Roy is expected to open the batting with Surrey team mate Rory Burns and will have an opportunity to impress the selectors ahead of the Ashes series against Australia starting on Aug. 1.advertisement Reuters LondonJuly 17, 2019UPDATED: July 17, 2019 19:41 IST Reuters PhotoHIGHLIGHTSJason Roy was in superb form in the World Cup, scoring 443 runsRoy is expected to open the batting with Surrey team mate Rory BurnsEngland will play a one-off Test match against Ireland at Lord’s from July 24Opening batsman Jason Roy has been named in England’s Tes squad for the first time for the one-off match against Ireland starting at Lord’s next Wednesday.Roy racked up 443 runs in England’s triumphant 50-overs World Cup campaign, but is not a regular top-order batsman for Surrey in red-ball cricket.The 28-year-old is expected to open the batting with Surrey team mate Rory Burns and will have an opportunity to impress the selectors ahead of the Ashes series against Australia starting on Aug. 1.Somerset all-rounder Lewis Gregory has also been called up for the first time, while uncapped fast bowler Olly Stone, who picked up an injury on this year’s tour of West Indies, returned to the squad.England’s leading wicket-taker James Anderson was included, despite picking up a calf injury this month.England World Cup winners Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes were rested for the Ireland Test but have been included in a 16-man pre-Ashes training camp this weekend.England announce their squad for their Test match against Ireland!Jason Roy and Lewis Gregory receive their first call-ups, whilst Olly Stone could also make his Test debut. pic.twitter.com/38k7qHHvapICC (@ICC) July 17, 2019Fast bowlers Mark Wood and Jofra Archer were not considered for selection because both players have suffered side strains.Wood has been ruled out for four to six weeks while Archer will have a period of rest before being considered for Ashes selection.England squad: Joe Root (captain), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wicketkeeper), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Jason Roy, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.advertisementFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow Jason RoyFollow England Test squadFollow World Cup 2019last_img read more

Ducks can’t fly without Herbert

first_img Cristobal, who was an assistant at Alabama under Nick Saban for four years, has one of the league’s top quarterbacks in junior Justin Herbert, who threw for 1,983 yards and 15 touchdowns last season — despite missing five games with a fractured collarbone. He also rushed for 183 yards and five scores.He was replaced as starter by freshman Braxton Burmeister and the Ducks went 1-4 over the course of his absence. Burmeister threw for 324 yards with two touchdowns and six interceptions during the span, while also rushing for 106 yards and three scores.The key will be keeping Herbert healthy, while also making sure he has a backup who is ready to step in. And in this case, Burmeister took his lumps last season.Herbert has done his part by bulking up over the offseason and now weighs in at some 240 pounds. Published: August 19, 2018, 5:57pm 3 Photos OUTLOOK: Oregon was picked to finish third in the Pac-12 North. Washington should rule its half of the conference and is the favorite to claim the league’s overall title. But Oregon is helped by a schedule that has just two teams that are expected to be ranked: Washington and Stanford. The Ducks get both of those teams at Autzen Stadium.Oregon opens the season at home on Sept. 1 against Bowling Green, and also gets its other two nonconference games — against Portland State and San Jose State — at Autzen.SCHEDULESep. 1 Bowling Green, 5 p.m.Sep. 8 Portland St., 11 a.m.Sep. 15 San Jose St., 2 p.m.Sep. 22 Stanford, TBASep. 29 at California, TBAOct. 13 Washington, TBAOct. 20 at Washington St., TBAOct. 27 at Arizona, TBANov. 3 UCLA, TBANov. 10 at Utah, TBANov. 17 Arizona St., TBANov. 23 at Oregon St., 1 p.m. Follow Just 12 months ago it was the start of the “Willie Taggart Era” in Eugene. Now it’s Mario Cristobal’s turn.The team’s former co-offensive coordinator is embarking on his first season at the helm of the Ducks. Taggart, meanwhile, is doing the same at Florida State after a one-year tenure at Oregon.It’s not quite Cristobal’s debut. He led the Ducks in last season’s Las Vegas Bowl, a 38-28 loss to Boise State. With a full season in front of him, Cristobal’s clearly ready to move on from 2017’s 7-6 finish.“This season has nothing but opportunity in front of it, and we’ve got to do it. There is no way to sugarcoat it or try to dance around it, there is not. We’ve just got to get it done,” he said. By ANNE M. PETERSON, Associated Press FILE – In this March 6, 2018, file photo, Oregon football head coach Mario Cristobal gestures during a news conference in Eugene, Ore. (Andy Nelson/The Register-Guard via AP, File) Photo Gallery Ducks can’t fly without Herbert Cristobal says QB returns with tons of confidence By signing up you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. Share: Addison, who is a 6-foot-5 prospect out of Gardena, Calif., could see time at both wide receiver and defensive back — both positions where the Ducks could use some help.Cristobal didn’t hide his enthusiasm for Addison at the league’s media day: “He’s played both ways. He has special teams value. He is intelligent, he’s tough, he’s athletic. Great balance and body control. Explosive. Incredible ball skills.”REPLACING ROYCE: The Ducks’ two top running backs from last season, Royce Freeman and Kani Benoit, have graduated. The top returnee is Tony Brooks-James, who ran for 520 yards and two touchdowns. He could get help from redshirt freshman CJ Verdell. Herbert was the team’s fourth-best rusher last season.DON’T FORGET THE D: There was lots of speculation that Taggart’s defensive coordinator, Jim Leavitt, might follow him to Florida State at the end of last season. But Oregon was able to keep him on staff, and that’s a good thing: In his first season, the Ducks went to a 3-4 defense and improved to 75th in the nation in points allowed, up from 126th. They also improved to 42nd nationally for yards allowed. He has clearly inspired his players, including linebacker Troy Dye, who has led the team in tackles for the past two seasons. “It’s not just how he looks. It’s the mindset that comes with it, the confidence that comes with it,” Cristobal said. “The ability to create a galvanizing effect for the guys in the locker room, because you know you’re preparing and holding each other accountable.”The Ducks averaged 52 points with Herbert on the field last season, so the longer he stays there, the better for Oregon.WHO’LL CATCH HERBERT? With the departure of versatile WR Charles Nelson, a lot of attention has gone to Herbert’s targets. The Ducks return their top receiver from last season, Dillon Mitchell, who caught 42 passes for 517 yards. Then there’s fellow wideout Brenden Schooler, who switched from safety, and tight-end Jacob Breeland, who caught five TD passes last season.TWO-WAY PLAYER? Bryan Addison could also be a welcome addition to Oregon’s receiver corps. He somewhat surprisingly joined the Ducks in July. Originally committed to UCLA, he was granted his release after his admission was delayed. Share: Receive latest stories and local news in your email: Follow The Columbian on Instagram GOlast_img read more

DIG Vaas Gunawardena arrested

Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) Vaas Gunawardena has been arrested over the murder of a businessman from Bambalapitiya.The DIG was arrested by the Criminal Investigations Department after he was extensively questioned this evening over the incident. Mohammed Shyam, 35, a businessman involved in the footwear industry residing at Sagara Road in Bambalapitiya was killed on 22 May.His body was found in Dompe after he was reported missing. (Colombo Gazette) The CID has also questioned DIG Vass Gunawardena last week over the incident. A police Sub Inspector (SI) and two other policemen were arrested last week over the same murder.