Dominic Calvert-Lewin says that he is proud to be wearing the No.9 jersey for Everton this season.He took over the number this season after the departure of Sandro Ramirez during the summer and has started the club’s opening two games this campaign. The England Under-21 international was speaking to Sky Sports News ahead of Everton’s trip to play Aston Villa in the Premier League on Friday night. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? “It’s a dream come true to wear the No.9 shirt at such a big club with a great history.” said the striker.”With such a big number comes a great responsibility so I have to accept that on my shoulders and live with what comes with it, good and bad. It is not a burden, it is just part and parcel of being a No.9.” The 22-year-old forward scored nine times for Everton last season and has been working hard on his finishing. “Being in the best league in the world you are expected to score goals. I am disappointed when that doesn’t happen but that is not to say I’m not working on it and trying to improve every day.” Calvert-Lewin joined Everton in the summer of 2016 from Sheffield United and feels that he has improved significantly since then. “I have been here three years now and I’ve grown as a player and a person. I have worked with a lot of different people who have helped me along the way.” “I have definitely grown to be in the position that I am in now in order to try and lead the line as best as I can.” The club’s forward line was recently bolstered by the arrival of Moise Kean from Juventus and Calvert-Lewin feels that the increase in competition for a starting spot will make him a better player.”It can only improve you. If you’ve got competition for places then you always need to be on top of your game.”Everton travel to Villa Park on Friday night looking to add to their tally of four points from two matches. After an opening-day draw at Crystal Palace, the Toffees recorded their first win of the season at home to Watford last Saturday. Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
Teachers, students and education partners from across the province gathered today, April 23, to recognize the recipients of Nova Scotia’s Education Week Awards. Twenty-three educators and five partners will receive awards for providing students with the tools they need to be successful. The awards support this year’s Education Week theme, Educating Students for Life. “The educators we are honouring today go above and beyond for the benefit of their students’ mental, physical and social well-being,” said Education Minister Ramona Jennex. “I sincerely thank all of the recipients for their dedication in preparing our young people for success — not only in the classroom, but for the rest of their lives.” Celebrated since 1935, Education Week honours teachers and education partners’ commitment to their students and subjects. This year, Education Week is April 20-28. “It’s rewarding in the fact that people recognize the work educators do every day,” said Kelly Hale, vice-principal at Porters Lake Elementary School, and a recipient of the 2012 Education Week Award. “Receiving this award was a pleasant surprise, and it’s great to be appreciated by students and fellow staff.” Education Week is a co-operative effort of the Nova Scotia Teachers Union, the Nova Scotia School Boards Association, the Nova Scotia Federation of Home and School Associations, la Fédération des parents acadiens de la Nouvelle-Écosse, the Association of Nova Scotia Educational Administrators and the Department of Education. The description of each recipient is available at www.ednet.ns.ca/educationweek2012 .
The union that represents over 80,000 teachers is taking the Ontario government to court. The Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario says the Ford Government is infringing on the rights of teachers and students with the removal of a modern sex-ed curriculum and the introduction of a ‘snitch’ line.When describing the Ford Government’s repeal of the 2015 sex-ed curriculum, ETFO president Sam Hammond used phrases like, “poorly thought out,” “abuse of power,” but he saved his most explosive statement for the end of his newser,“Yes it seems homophobic in a way, yes it’s trying to eliminate key aspects of the society we live in: gender identities, trans gender individuals, same sex marriage, I don’t know what else you’d call it.”The union sent the application to the superior court looking to keep the updated 2015 sex-ed in place where LGBTQ issues and cyber safety are taught.Some parents picking up their kids after their first day of school seem to be on the same page as teachersThe union is also hoping to eliminate the newly introduced report or “snitch” line. A service that allows anyone to critisize a teacher who they feel stray from the 20 year-old curriculum.“If that teacher decides to take that as a teachable moment to talk about same sex couples, is this government going to act and punish that teacher for doing that in 2018? There is absolutely no need for a snitch line in ETFO’s opinion attacks the integrity professional judgement of our members.’Manny Figueiredo, the Director of Education for the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board is putting trust in teachers that they’ll do the right thing.“Teachers need to respond to that. Doesn’t mean they’ll break into a whole class lesson because that isn’t an expectation they need to respond if a child from a certain identity or family structure doesn’t feel safe or included then we have a moral responsibility under the human rights code to respond to that need.’It’s unclear how long the court proceedings will take place.In the meantime, the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board Director says their preparing for either outcome. He also mentioned that letters are still sent out to homes prior to certain sex-ed lessons and parents continue to have the option to pull their kids out of class if they disagree with the subject matter.