LOUD3R, a network of 25 Web sites that aggregate enthusiast online content, has launched with an ambitious plan to roll out at least 10 new sites a month until all 500 of the domains it owns are live. “In some ways, these guys are inheriting the magazine advertising model online,” a spokesman for the company told FOLIO:. “They are in an excellent position to serve high-CPM, targeted ads since the visitors to the sites are already interested in the topic at hand.” The network is based on an internally-built semantic publishing platform similar to that of Inform Technologies, which is used by publishers including Conde Nast, Washington Post, IDG and FOLIO:. Each site is launched “with minimal cost and manpower,” according to the company—editors assemble a source list of Web sites related to a topic, ranging from motorcycles (FAST3R) to wine (DECANT3R) to venture capital (FOUND3R) to soccer (STRIK3R), along with a glossary of terms that the engine “learns” and uses to seek out related online content online. The system also learns to weed out spam and fake or repeated Web sites and blogs. LOUD3R’s revenue strategy includes selling ads—through a network the company refused to disclose at this time—as well as data services. For example, LOUD3R could track all content related to a particular company and either sell it as a feed of data for the company to publish or as a white-label, standalone site. The company currently operates with four full-time employees and three part-time editors.
The San Francisco Chronicle launched its 49ers Insider digital magazine last week in advance of the team’s season-opener against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.The iPad-exclusive app will be published twice each week with a pregame edition released on Fridays and a postgame version coming the day after that week’s game. Content includes exclusive multimedia features, articles from the Chronicle’s sports section, player profiles, opponent scouting reports, fantasy football and betting advice, as well as social media integration.“When you research an audience of highly engaged sports enthusiasts, or highly engaged people who watch any particular NFL team like the 49ers, often the feedback that you get is ‘I want more information than I’m currently getting and I’m willing to pay for it,’” Adkins says. “The audience says they can’t get enough.”More specifically, Adkins says, it’s about providing information that isn’t readily available elsewhere. There will be some overlap between content in the Chronicle and on the app, but with several new staff members brought on specifically for the digital magazine, the focus is putting out exclusive stories. The nature of the NFL schedule—one game per team per week, usually on Sunday afternoons—lends itself to a unique publishing schedule as well. It allows Adkins’ team to capitalize on the market when it’s most hungry for that extra content.“Everybody has limited information right after the game. You basically know score, statistics and a couple of key elements that may have happened,” Adkins says. “But player interviews, coach interviews, those types of things start to trickle in after the game and they’re not immediately available. So we see a spike in web traffic, obviously, after the game, but we also see it on Monday when a lot of the coverage starts to come in.” At $9.99, the price works out to about 30 cents per issue for the full 16-game regular season.As a new product in a new market, Adkins admits his team is not entirely sure of the price elasticity yet, but emphasized that the project’s purpose at this stage was to build volume.“If you have no brand identity, the best thing to do would be to create what we thought [would be] a low enough price point that would drive a significant level of subscribers,” he says. “We decided that we wanted to try to build volume off of it.”For now, the app is only available on the iPad, but other platforms—for a bigger audience reach—may be supported by the end of the season.To stay updated on the latest FOLIO: news, become a Facebook fan and follow us on Twitter!
A view of Honolulu, Hawaii is seen from the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. Reuters file photoThe state of Hawaii said it will ask a federal court on Wednesday for an emergency halt to President Donald Trump’s new executive order restricting travel from six Muslim-majority countries, becoming the first state to challenge the ban in court.In a court filing on Tuesday, Hawaii said it would seek a temporary restraining order against the new travel ban. Hawaii’s suit against the original executive order was put on hold.The Trump administration this week issued the new executive order that supplanted an earlier, more sweeping one which had been challenged in court by several states in addition to Hawaii.The new order is much more narrowly tailored than the first one issued in January. It keeps a 90-day ban on travel to the United States by citizens of Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen but excludes Iraq, and applies the restriction only to new visa applicants.“To be sure, the new executive order covers fewer people than the old one,” Neal Katyal, one of the lead attorneys for Hawaii, said in an interview with CNN. He said the new travel ban still “suffers from the same constitutional and statutory defects.”“We are confident that the president’s actions are lawful to protect the national security of our country,” the Justice Department said in a statement.In a joint filing, Hawaii and the US government asked for oral arguments in the case to be held March 15, a day before the new travel order is set to take effect.Separately, in a case brought by Washington state against the first Trump travel order, the Justice Department on Tuesday said it would voluntarily dismiss its own appeal of a Seattle federal court ruling that had suspended the order.Washington state did not oppose the administration’s request to end its appeal, the filing said.Immigration advocates said the new ban still discriminates against Muslims and fails to address some of their concerns with the previous directive. Legal experts said the new ban would be harder to challenge because it affects fewer people living in the United States and allows more exemptions to protect them.Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson on Monday said his office was evaluating whether it would challenge the new order and would likely decide this week.The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals last month had blocked Trump’s first order, saying Washington state would likely be able to prove that it violated constitutional protections.That appeals court ruling has not been withdrawn and its legal reasoning can still be cited as precedent in future cases, Washington attorney general spokesman Peter Lavallee said on Tuesday.
A woman reacts during a mass burial of victims, two days after a string of suicide bomb attacks on churches and luxury hotels across the island on Easter Sunday, at a cemetery near St. Sebastian Church in Negombo, Sri Lanka on 23 April 2019. Photo: ReutersSri Lankan intelligence officials were tipped off about an imminent attack by Islamist militants hours before a series of suicide bombings killed more than 300 people on Easter Sunday, three sources with direct knowledge of the matter said.Three churches and four hotels were hit by suicide bombers on Sunday morning, killing 321 people and wounding 500, sending shockwaves through an island state that has been relatively peaceful since a civil war ended a decade ago.Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attacks on Tuesday, without providing evidence of its involvement.Indian intelligence officers contacted their Sri Lankan counterparts two hours before the first attack to warn of a specific threat on churches, one Sri Lankan defence source and an Indian government source said.Another Sri Lankan defence source said a warning came “hours before” the first strike.One of the Sri Lankan sources said a warning was also sent by the Indians on Saturday night. The Indian government source said similar messages had been given to Sri Lankan intelligence agents on 4 April and 20 April.A woman reacts next to two coffins during a mass burial of victims, two days after a string of suicide bomb attacks on churches and luxury hotels across the island on Easter Sunday, at a cemetery near St. Sebastian Church in Negombo, Sri Lanka on 23 April 2019. Photo: ReutersSri Lanka’s presidency and the Indian foreign ministry both did not respond to requests for comment.Sri Lanka’s failure to effectively respond to a looming Islamist threat will fuel fears that a rift between Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and President Maithripala Sirisena is undermining national security.The president fired Wickremesinghe last October over political differences, only to reinstate him weeks later under pressure from the Supreme Court.Opposing factions aligned to Wickremesinghe and Sirisenahave often refuse to communicate with each other and blame any setbacks on their opponents, government sources say.Sri Lankan police had been warned weeks ago about a possible attacks by a little-known domestic Islamist group, according to an Indian intelligence report given to Sri Lankan state intelligence services, and seen by Reuters.Sirisena, announcing plans on Tuesday to change the heads of the defence forces, said his office never received the Indian report.Junior defence minister Ruwan Wijewardene, an ally of Wickremesinghe, told Reuters that he was also not privy to the Indian intelligence findings.
Listen —–Arkema, the company that owns the Crosby chemical plant located about 20 miles northeast of Houston said on Monday that authorities have lifted the security perimeter established around the plant. A mandatory evacuation had been placed last week for people living within 1.5 miles of the site, after the plant flooded in the wake of hurricane Harvey and some of its containers cracked and release what At the company considered as harming fumes.The fear was that more flammable organic pesticides could release, but the materials were ignited in a controlled burn on Sunday.News 88.7’s Andrew Schneider reported: The Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office said in a statement Sunday evening that all nine trailers filled with organic peroxide at the plant had burned. Earlier Sunday, authorities said that a controlled burn had started on the six trailers that had not caught fire in previous days.The company set up a hotline for people to report damage, make claims or get other necessary info on how to get help from Arkema: 877-4-ARKEMA——-Evacuation orders for Fort Bend county districts operating levees have been cancelled, after County Judge Robert Heber said that he will be reviewing the conditions in that area on an ongoing basis to ensure that once it may be safe to enter an area, residents are allowed to do so.The curfew that was in effect from August 31 until Sunday has also been terminated. Some areas of Fort Bend County were severely flooded last week, and Harvey rains caused the Brazos and San Bernard rivers to rise to record heights.Judge Hebert issued evacuation orders in many areas of the county in order to protect life and property, but the conditions have improved enough to warrant a cautious lifting of these orders for much of the county.On Sunday evening, the Barker Reservoir pool levels were still high enough to make re-entry to some neighborhoods unsafe, and the mandatory evacuation remains in place for some neighborhoods adjacent to the Barker Reservoir.Low-lying areas along the Brazos and San Bernard rivers remain under voluntary evacuation. Residents are encouraged to use extreme caution when entering these areas.————-The Federal Emergency Management Agency said on Monday that it has received more than 555,000 registrations for assistance due to Harvey. More than 176,000 survivors have already been approved for $141 million in FEMA disaster assistance. Of that amount, $50 million is approved for housing assistance, rental assistance, and more than $91 million is approved for other needs assistance.FEMA encouraged those in need of federal assistance to register online as a way to speed the process: DisasterAssistance.govThe agency explained that they are coordinating efforts with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as well as other federal, state and local partners to direct efforts toward recovery, including housing survivors displaced by the disaster——- As of Sunday, officials at the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences said that so far there are 29 confirmed deaths in Harris County as a direct result of Hurricane Harvey. 00:00 /00:53 To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share X Congress could pass the first relief package for those hurt by Hurricane Harvey before the week is out. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) made the announcement at NRG Center, alongside Senators John Cornyn and Ted Cruz and much of the Houston Area congressional delegation.Members of Congress return to work Tuesday, following the August recess and Labor Day weekend. Congressman McCarthy pledged to the lower chamber would vote to send the first Texas relief package to the Senate by Wednesday. He said it would be the first aid package but not the last.Senators Cornyn and Cruz both said they would work to make sure the aid gets to those hurt by Harvey as quickly as possible. As the number two Republican in the Senate, Cornyn has a key role in shepherding any relief funding through.Congressman Kevin McCarthy, who chairs the House Ways and Means Committee, said he’ll be working on related legislation to provide targeted tax relief. He said that would include lifting the limits for charitable contributions. – Andrew Schneider, Houston Public Media– / 8Later on Monday, Senators John Cornyn (R-TX) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) as well as most of the Houston area congressional delegation will be volunteering at the NRG Center today. They have a press conference scheduled afterwards to talk about funding for Hurricane Harvey relief.—–The US Department of Veteran Affairs deployed four Mobile Vet Centers to Houston to provide counseling services to veterans affected by Harvey, particularly evacuees. Find more information here on locations.——Only over a week after Hurricane Harvey hit the Texas coast and flooded Houston with non-stop rains, another hurricane has the islands at the eastern end of the Caribbean Sea making preparations for approaching Category 3 Hurricane Irma, which could threaten the area beginning Tuesday.Hurricane watches were posted for Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Monserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Martin, Guadeloupe and the British Virgin Islands.Long-range forecasts indicated Irma likely would curve to the northwest beginning late Monday and skirt to the north of those islands on a path that could potentially take it to the U.S. East Coast, but it was too early to make a definitive prediction.
Share Hurricanes will no longer be named Harvey, Irma, Maria, or Nate.The World Meteorological Organization announced Thursday it’s retiring the names, and said they “don’t bear repeating.”Storm names are normally reused on a six-year cycle. With the newly retired storms, The World Meteorological Organization has retired 86 names since 1954. Video Playerhttps://cdn.hpm.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/12070232/Bars-Inverse-2018-04-12-at-7.01am.mp400:0000:0000:19Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.“Names are retired if they are so deadly or destructive that the future of their name would be insensitive,” said Dennish Feltgen, a spokesperson for NOAA’s National Hurricane Center; which is a member of the World Meteorological Organization. “You can go back through time: There’s very historical names like Audrey, and Donna, and, of course, Katrina and Rita. You don’t ever want to hear those names on a list again and they won’t be.”The names will be replaced with Harold, Idalia, Margot and Nigel and included on the 2017 that will first be used in 2023.
December 3, 2015 Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals Register Now » 2 min read Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. Uber is giving its customers a guiding light. The popular ride-hailing company is rolling out LED light strips on drivers’ windshields to help riders in Seattle identify their pickups.The bright, new initiative, simply called SPOT, aims to reduce wait times and to make it easier for customers to find their Ubers in dense traffic and in the dark. Announced earlier this week, the feature rolls out throughout this month in the Emerald City on a test basis, with the company already equipping an undisclosed number of drivers there with the innovative devices.Related: Uber Is Eating Up Taxi Rides in New York CityHow it works: Directly applied to windshields, the long, skinny light strips glow in multiple colors (blue, green, orange, pink, purple or yellow). When a rider requests a trip and is paired with a SPOT-enabled driver, she can select the color the driver’s light strip will display using a color wheel within the Uber app. When the driver arrives for pickup, the light strip glows in the selected color. Conversely, riders can hold up their phones to display the matching light strip color to quickly show their drivers where they are.Uber, repeatedly plagued by customer complaints about surge pricing and drivers’ bad behavior, frames SPOT as its latest “experiment” in its “ongoing effort to make Uber pickups as seamless as possible.” But is it bright enough to shine some positive light on the controversial company? Related: Court Denies Uber’s Request to Appeal Class-Action Status of U.S. Driver Lawsuit
Travelweek Group After 4 hours, a flight attendant finally said “Could you please put your feet down? People are walking through here.” 40 second stare down.— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) December 28, 2016 Is this the world’s rudest air passenger? Share Descending. No jeans. Right before landing, he stands in the aisle, in defiance of decency & lighted seatbelt signs. He puts on his jeans. pic.twitter.com/s2pa4draEJ— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) December 28, 2016 Before boarding, he stood right at the gate 30 mins early. Wheelchairs went around him. “I can’t wait to get in there & get my pants off!”— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) December 28, 2016 TORONTO — Poor travel etiquette is not a new phenomenon, but one rather vulgar gentleman has reached new heights – or rather a new low – in terms of bad manners.During a recent flight (airline unknown), an unidentified male passenger thought it appropriate to remove his pants and lounge instead in his boxer shorts for the duration of the flight. And lucky for us who’d like nothing more than to see that disturbing visual, Pakistani-American comedian Kumail Nanjiani live-tweeted the whole episode.Tweet storm. I was on a plane a couple of days ago. A guy took off his jeans & lounged around in his boxers with his feet up on the wall. pic.twitter.com/CHcsWXnlNB— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) December 28, 2016 Tuesday, January 3, 2017 He walks off the plane. No police is waiting for him. No justice. He adjusts his belt, and the monster blends into a crowd.— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) December 28, 2016 5 mins go by & he thrusts one foot back up like a fist raised against an unjust sky. pic.twitter.com/HsYGAK6TO8— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) December 28, 2016 This guy was rude to the staff the entire time. If he didn’t get the flight attendant’s attention, he would slam his fist on the armrest.— Kumail Nanjiani (@kumailn) December 28, 2016 Posted by << Previous PostNext Post >>