SpaceX preps Crew Dragon Enlarge ImageFalcon 9 and Crew Dragon get ready for a test flight. SpaceX SpaceX and NASA are no strangers to launch delays, and the latest involves the first major test flight of the SpaceX crew capsule, the Crew Dragon. NASA announced on Thursday it has pushed the schedule for the Demo-1 launch into February at the earliest. Crew Dragon was previously set to head to orbit on Jan. 7, but that date was reset for Jan. 17. NASA did not specify a new target date, but it says SpaceX and NASA are still completing hardware testing and joint reviews. The uncrewed test flight to the International Space Station is designed to check how the launch, orbital, docking and landing systems function before actual astronauts take a ride to space inside the capsule. Comment Crew Dragon is part of NASA’s Commercial Crew program, which also involves the Boeing Starliner. The space agency is hoping to bring astronaut launches back to US soil for the first time since 2011. Astronauts visiting the ISS have been hitching rides on Russian spacecraft. The capsule and the Falcon 9 rocket that will launch it are sitting upright together on the historic Apollo 11 launchpad at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. SpaceX founder Elon Musk tweeted over the weekend that the test flight will be “extremely intense” since there’s a lot of new hardware involved. If the test flight goes well, then astronauts could take the first crewed flight on Dragon later this year. NASA says it will confirm a new target launch date after coordinating with the Eastern Range rocket range and the ISS program. 10 Photos Tags 1 SpaceX Crew Dragon preps for ‘extremely intense’ first test flight NASA astronauts test SpaceX spacesuits in the Crew Dragon Share your voice Space cheese and 9 other weird items we’ve sent into orbit (pictures) NASA turns 60: The space agency has taken humanity farther than anyone else, and it has plans to go further. What NASA’s Kepler telescope sees: It’s helped amateurs spot an unusual new planet in a “Goldilocks zone.” Sci-Tech NASA Space SpaceX
Firefox Privacy Mozilla Share your voice 0 Tags Mozilla Mozilla on Tuesday unveiled its new Firefox logo — actually a family of logos — designed to give a unified identity to its broadening suite of products and services.You probably know the Firefox name from Mozilla’s open-source browser. But the new Firefox “master brand” stands for a collection of tools that’ll sport the Firefox name. That includes not just the browser, but also Firefox Send for transferring files, Firefox Lockwise to store and sync passwords, and Firefox Monitor to check if your password was exposed in a data breach.”That’s just the beginning of the new Firefox family,” Mozilla said in a blog post about the new brand. The master brand is a variation of Firefox’s globe-encompassing, flaming fox, but it’s mostly just a stylized flame that opens the door to a broader suite of colors.A master Firefox brand, at top, spawns variations for different Mozilla apps and tools. Mozilla Mozilla is expanding its tools, but the icon for the Firefox browser, used by close to 300 million people each month, is likely to remain the most important one you’ll see on your PC or phone screen for now. As first reported by CNET, the new Firefox browser icon is stylized, simplified, and for the first time faces you. The blue Earth is now purple (the continents vanished in an earlier redesign), and the fox’s legs are gone altogether.The new branding comes during a push to emphasize private browsing that contrasts with the user-tracking priorities of online advertising giants Facebook and Google, maker of the rival Chrome browser. Firefox remains an important browser, but it hasn’t dented Chrome’s dominance. With privacy now in vogue in tech circles — yes, even at Google and Facebook — Mozilla has a new chance to win new loyalists.The new Firefox brand opens the door to some new color schemes. Mozilla likes the gradients. Mozilla “Privacy is woven into every Firefox brand experience. With each release, our products will continue to add features that protect you and alert you to risks,” Mozilla said. “Unlike Big Tech companies that claim to offer privacy but still use you and your data, with us you know where you stand.”This month, Firefox began blocking attempts to track your browsing behavior across the web, though the change affects new users only for now and will only be enabled for existing users in coming months. The move followed browsers Safari and Brave. Microsoft is building a similar tool into its Edge browser.Mozilla will distribute the new Firefox browser icon with an update of the software arriving this fall.Originally published June 11, 8:04 a.m. PTUpdate, 1:06 p.m.: Adds schedule for when the Firefox browser will ship with the new icon. Post a comment Computers Security CNET Apps Today
Mahmudur Rahman Manna and SM AkramA total of nine Nagorik Oikya leaders will contest the upcoming general elections with the symbol of ‘Sheaf of paddy’, the election symbol of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).A top leader of the Nagorik Oikya told Prothom Alo that as their party has no registration, their candidates will compete in the elections with the BNP’s symbol.Nagorik Oikya started distributing the nomination papers to the nominated candidates on Tuesday morning after the BNP leaders handed over the nomination papers to the representatives of the party on Monday night.“BNP earlier told us about nine seats. Finally, they handed over the nomination papers to us on Monday night,” said ther top leader of the Nagorik Oikya.Those who were nominated from the Nagorik Oikya are Nagorik Oikyo convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna for Bogura-2 constituency, SM Akram for Narayanganj-5, Fazlul Haque Sarkar for Chandpur-3, Nazrul Islam for Mymensingh-2, Mobarah Hossain for Brahmanbaria-2, Rabiul Islam for Satkhira-2, Shah Mohammad Rahmatullah for Rangpur-1, Mofakkharul Islam Nabab for Rangpur-5, M Nurur Rahman for Barisal-4.Manna confirmed to the Prothom Alo that nine Nagorik Oikya candidates are going to contest the next national elections with ‘Sheaf of Paddy’.
Hasanul Haq Inu, Mosharraf Hossen, Anisul Islam Mahmud and Mujibul Haq (clockwise)Six more parliamentary standing committees on various ministries were formed on Thursday with the approval of leader of the house and prime minister Sheikh Hasina.Chief whip Noor-E-Alam Chowdhury proposed the names of the committees and the members in the house with deputy speaker M Fazley Rabbi Mia in the chair. The house unanimously adopted the proposals by voice votes.The Jatiya Sangsad (JS) bodies are on Labour and employment ministry, railway ministry, information ministry, ministry of home affairs, housing and public works ministry and expatriate welfare and overseas employment ministry.Mujibul Haq will lead the parliamentary standing committee on the ministry of labour and employment while Hasanul Haq Inu has been made chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on the Information Ministry.ABM Fazley Karim Chowdhury will lead parliamentary standing committee on the ministry of railway while M Shamsul Haq Tuku is made chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on the ministry of home affairs.Mosharraf Hossen has been made chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on the ministry of housing and public works.On the other hand, Anisul Islam Mahmud will lead the parliamentary standing committee on the ministry of expatriate welfare and overseas employment
Pakistani security personnel stand next to burned out vehicles in front of the Chinese consulate after an attack in Karachi on 23 November 2018. At least two policemen were killed when unidentified gunmen stormed the Chinese consulate in the Pakistani port city of Karachi on November 23, officials said. Photo: AFPFour people were killed on Friday when gunmen armed with hand grenades and a suicide vest stormed the Chinese consulate in the Pakistani city of Karachi, officials said, with the attack claimed by a separatist group which branded Beijing “an oppressor”.Pakistani authorities said that security forces had secured the area after the attack, the latest assault on Chinese nationals in the country, where Beijing has poured billions of dollars into one of the largest projects in its massive Belt and Road programme.China “strongly condemned” the attack and asked Pakistan to take measures to ensure the safety of Chinese citizens and institutions in the country, as well as the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) mega-project.Three gunmen tried to enter the consulate in the southern port city, but were intercepted by guards at a checkpoint, Karachi police chief Ameer Sheikh told AFP.”They were holding Kalashnikovs. First, they hurled a small (grenade) and then started firing,” said Allah Bakhsh, a guard at a nearby house who witnessed the attack.Police officials said two of their personnel were killed, along with a father and son from Quetta, the capital of Balochistan, who were seeking Chinese visas and were caught in the crossfire.At least one of the attackers was wearing a suicide vest which did not detonate, another senior police official said.Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told reporters in Islamabad that “all the terrorists have been eliminated”, and that all 21 staff at the consulate during the attack had been taken to a safe location.”Situation under control,” the military’s media wing added in a statement.- China is an ‘oppressor’ -The attack was claimed by a separatist militant group from Pakistan’s southwestern province of Balochistan, which is at the centre of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, the major Chinese project in the country.”We have been seeing the Chinese as an oppressor, along with Pakistani forces,” the spokesman for the Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA), Geand Baloch, told AFP by telephone from an undisclosed location, adding they were “destroying the future of Balochistan”.The BLA later emailed a statement to media in which it said the attack was “aimed at making it clear that China’s military expansionism on Baloch soil will not be tolerated”.It warned the Chinese to leave or “be prepared for continued attacks”.The group is just one of the militant outfits operating in Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest and poorest province, which is rife with ethnic, sectarian and separatist insurgencies.Residents of the resource-rich province, which borders Iran and Afghanistan, have long complained that it does not receive a fair share of the profits made from its mineral wealth.Prime minister Imran Khan said Friday’s attack would not undermine the Pakistan-China relationship, which he described in a statement as “mightier than Himalayas and deeper than Arabian Sea”.Also on Friday a bomb hidden in a carton of vegetables killed at least 20 people at a marketplace in Pakistan’s northwestern tribal region. Dozens more people were wounded, with fears the toll could rise.- Chinese investment -China, one of Pakistan’s closest allies, has poured billions into the South Asian country in recent years as part of CPEC, a massive infrastructure project that seeks to connect its western province Xinjiang with the Arabian Sea port of Gwadar in Balochistan.The project is one of the largest in Beijing’s “One Belt One Road” initiative, comprising a network of roads and sea routes involving 65 countries.Pakistan sees the project as a “gamechanger”, but it presents an enormous challenge in a country plagued by weak institutions, endemic corruption and a range of insurgencies in areas slated to host the corridor.The subject of economic dividends from CPEC is extremely sensitive in some of those areas — particularly in Balochistan.Since the beginning of the project militants have repeatedly attacked construction sites, blowing up numerous gas pipelines and trains, and targeted Chinese workers.In August this year three Chinese nationals were among six wounded in a suicide attack on a bus transporting Chinese engineers working in Balochistan, in an attack that was also claimed by the BLA.The Pakistani military has been targeting insurgencies in the province since 2004, and has been repeatedly accused by international rights groups of abuses there.Islamabad regularly accuses its eastern neighbour India of funding and arming Baloch separatists, and of targeting development projects in the province, particularly CPEC.India’s foreign ministry swiftly condemned Friday’s attack in a statement, saying: “There can be no justification whatsoever for any act of terrorism”.
ERIK HERSMAN / FLICKRYou can look up if you’re already registered to vote at the Texas Secretary of State’s website. Early voting starts on Feb. 20.Thousands of early voters cast ballots Tuesday in Harris County – kicking off the nation’s first primary election.According to the County Clerk’s office, about 18,000 ballots were cast in Harris County, including more than 73-hundred done in-person at the county’s 46 polling places.And from now until March second, you can cast your ballot at any polling place in the county where you’re registered. that could be helpful for some Harvey victims– who may still be displaced. But on Election Day, you’ll have to go to your assigned polling place.Early voting runs through Friday, March 2nd. Election Day is March 6. Share
Listen Al OrtizFile Photo – Tents set up at a homeless encampment at the intersection of Highway 59 and Caroline Street on April 21, 2017. 00:00 /00:50 A year after Hurricane Harvey, we’re still learning more about the impact of the storm on local communities.While a new study further suggests recovery remains slow for many in hard-hit areas in the region, Houston’s unsheltered homeless population also received its first uptick, since 2011. The unsheltered homeless rate was declining for years, prior to Harvey, according to the Coalition for the Homeless.Marliyn Brown, the Coalition’s President and CEO, said the group’s annual survey at the beginning of the year revealed an additional 500 unsheltered homeless people.“When we asked people, ‘What caused your homelessness,’ 18 percent said it was a result of Hurricane Harvey,” said Brown. The Coalition found 258 unsheltered homeless people in the Houston region were homeless as a direct result from Hurricane Harvey.Brown believes they will be able to catch back up with the downward trend, because their housing units weren’t as affected by the storm as they originally feared. She said they’re now back on track, to housing about 100 people per month. But, she said, long-term ramifications of the storm remain unclear.“I’m not really sure when we’ll ever know,” said Brown. “It’s not just a one-time, ‘We’ll get you back on your feet and you’ll do well.’ So, I think as far as our system, and our inventory of units, and being able to identify and help people: we’re back on track. But, I think we have a new set of conditions that are affecting people in a different way that will continue to stay with us… This is a new trauma that adds to the lack of ability to stabilize.”Brown said every large city in Texas had an increase in homelessness this year.The Texas Homeless Network estimates about 590 people in the state experienced homelessness, as a direct result from Harvey. To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share X
Popular on Variety Upcoming 4K titles Redbox expects to add over the next few weeks include “Red Sparrow” starring Jennifer Lawrence, “Pacific Rim: Uprising,” the 2018 “Tomb Raider” with Alicia Vikander, and 2010’s “Inception.”“We wanted titles that would have high interest going forward — they’re all action-related and incredibly visually stunning,” said Redbox CEO Galen Smith. “As a consumer, I want to pay a slight premium to get the best possible experience.”To be sure, 4K remains a relatively niche technology. As of the first quarter of 2018, around 9 million U.S. households — less than 10% — had a 4K Ultra HD playback device (including UHD Blu-ray players), according to the Digital Entertainment Group. Close to 35 million American homes had a UHD TV set, DEG estimates.Smith conceded that Ultra HD Blu-ray is still a “nascent” format but pointed to recent retailer discounts of UHD Blu-ray players to around $100 — and even lower. “When we launched with Blu-ray a few years ago, it was when the price of players started to drop,” he said.In selecting the six test markets for the 4K rentals, Redbox worked with studio partners to determine which areas overindex on sales of UHD Blu-ray discs, according to Smith. Redbox will use the data it collects to calibrate inventory and distribution of 4K titles; for the initial launch, the kiosks in the test will have “a couple” copies of the four movies, according to Smith.For now, Redbox isn’t offering any 4K content through the Redbox On Demand digital-streaming service, which it launched in December 2017.Disney has sued Redbox over the kiosk operator’s reselling digital-access codes for Disney movies, which Redbox pulls from the DVD/Blu-ray combo packs it purchases on the open market. (Redbox has direct purchasing agreements with the other major studios for discs.)For the 4K disc rentals of “Black Panther,” which was released on DVD and Blu-ray on May 15, Redbox is protected by the first-sale doctrine of the U.S. copyright code. Redbox asserts that the first-sale doctrine also allows it to resell Disney digital-access codes; Disney’s lawyers, however, argue that there’s a key difference between reselling a DVD and providing digital access to copies of movies. Meanwhile, Redbox’s launch of 4K Ultra HD rentals comes after it recently rolled out Nintendo Switch video-game rentals in six markets nationwide: San Antonio, Portland, Seattle, Nashville, Denver and Salt Lake City. All Redbox rentals, including the 4K UHD discs, can be returned to any kiosk location in the network.Pictured above: Chadwick Boseman in “Black Panther” Redbox is now offering 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc rentals — but it’s starting with only four titles, available in limited quantities in just six U.S. markets.The first Ultra HD Blu-ray movies available at Redbox kiosks are: Disney-Marvel’s “Black Panther,” Lionsgate’s “The Commuter,” Warner Bros.’ “The Matrix” and 20th Century Fox’s “The Martian.” Those are available starting this week at about 2,500 Redbox kiosks in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, Austin, Detroit, and Miami. That represents around 6% of Redbox’s total network of 41,500 kiosks across the U.S.Redbox’s rental pricing for the 4K titles is $2.50 per night. That’s a premium over $1.75 for regular DVDs and $2 for Blu-ray discs. Redbox isn’t offering online reservations for the 4K Ultra HD discs during the test period. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15